EdTech Remembers Ken Arvieux

Ken-sm.jpgKen Arvieux, database services assistant for Educational Technology and for Project Management within IT, died Tuesday, June 30, 2009. Ken started working for EdTech as a temporary employee in January 2008 and was hired on full-time in November 2008.

Ken was a dedicated employee and a very hard worker for EdTech. He helped Gandalf Sidio to support the classroom technology during our first year of existence as an organization on campus. He also helped collect and organize a lot of the information we needed about the equipment we support. Ken’s efforts on behalf of EdTech really helped us become successful in our first year.

On a personal level, Ken was a good man to work with. He was very positive and cheerful in every way. He was very friendly to everyone he met in the department and on campus. Ken was extremely proud of his wife and his family. His son went on a mission trip last year to Mongolia. Fortunately, he was able to keep in touch with his son through the miracle of modern technology and could give us updates on how his son was doing so far from home. I think one of his happiest days in recent memory was the day his son came home.

Ken Arvieux was a good man and he will be missed.

Comments

1. Angela Hammons says:

Ken Arvieux was a great friend to me and everyone. There are many things that I will always remember about Ken. Ken was hired to work in EdTech as we were literally getting off the ground. He helped to build the foundation for what we are currently doing. He was great to be the first one to volunteer to help if you were in need. He offered invaluable input in how our processes worked and helped us document everything so that others could repeat them. His laughter was infectious and he was always willing to joke with us.
    Ken also made a huge impression on me in the devotion that he showed, for his wife, kids and grandkids, for his work, for his country and for his church. You knew where Ken stood on all of these.
    I was and remain happy to call Ken my friend.

2. Meg Brady says:

I am blessed to have known and worked with Ken Arvieux. When he interviewed for the temp position a little over a year ago, he struck me immediately as a caring and loyal person. He proved to be that and so much more. EdTech was a brand new unit within IT and needed to get off the ground running. Ken was ready to pitch in with whatever needed to be done. He climbed ladders and installed projectors and PCs in classrooms. He developed a detailed inventory of our equipment and a process to keep it going. He organized our vendor and product information so we could easily find the best price and the best option for a given solution. Most of all, he brought his positive attitude and work ethic to the office everyday and he helped us build our team.
    Even after his temp appointment with EdTech ended and he started working with IT Project Management, Ken continued to help us out.
    We miss him greatly, but cherish the time we had with him.
    Peace be with you, Ken.
    Meg Brady

3. Le Wang says:

A few months ago, as a new employee, I was temporarily sitting at Web Support office for a two week training, which is crossing the hall way from the office where Ken was at. We got chance to talk to each other and found out we had many mutual friends through Brewer Science. I was instantly attracted to Ken’s warm personality and his sincerity toward people. By the end of two weeks, we had become friends and I thought to myself that to get to know Ken was a bigger gain than whatever technical training I received up there. If I had known that would be my first time and my last time to know Ken at close distance, I would have used the opportunity much more efficiently and this is really a reminder to myself that every encounter in my life with people is a privilege for me to know others and to connect heart to heart with others. Opportunities come and go and won’t last forever.
    May peace and joy be with you, Ken.
    Le Wang

4. Mary Hinze says:

Walking down the hall and running into Ken was always a pleasure. His smile was large and his friendliness contagious. I am a better person for having known Ken and all of his friends at IT will truly miss him.
    Mary Hinze

5. Gerry O'Brennan says:

Ken and I didn’t have very many interactions during his time with Information Technology, but it was clear from those few interactions he was a man of character and he had a good heart. He always greeted others with a smile and he had a positive attitude.
    Later learning that Ken was a Christian was no surprise to me as he reflected such characteristics in his daily walk and interaction with others.
    I wish I had gotten to know Ken better. He will certainly be missed.

6. Dan Uetrecht says:

Ken was a joy to work with. Ken was always willing to help when I showed up at the Ed Tech office with a question, regardless how misguided the question was. Even when Ken was not the guy to provide the answer I always got a promise to follow up and a warm smile to send me on my way. What I remember most about Ken was his willingness to help, his cheerful personality and his big smile and contagious laughter.
    Ken, my prayers go out to your family at their time of loss.
    I’ll miss your big grin buddy.
    Dan

7. Cheryl Ahrens says:

It always brightened up my day when Ken would stop by the office to simply say hello. His warm smile, contagious laughter and genuine concern for others will be missed by so many people. We were blessed to have known Ken and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

8. Jeannie Headrick says:

I have not know Ken very long, but what a wonderful person he was. Not only kind, helpful, friendly but a true gentleman. With the visit from Ken, came his smiling face and pleasant attitude. He was truly helpful to everyone and will be greatly missed.
    My prayers go out to the family and I appreciate the opportunity to have know such nice person.
    My deepest sympathy.
    Jeannie

9. Maleah Arvieux says:

My father loved his job. We would compare my memories of the CompSci building with all the improvements he was involved in, and there was a genuine love of his work that could be heard in those conversations. To those who commented here, or came to the visitation and funeral I just want to give my deepest thanks. Seeing such tangible evidence of how much Daddy was loved has been a great comfort. I will never stop missing my father, but I know that he will always be remembered not just by his family, but by all those he came in contact with.
    Reading your wonderful comments has been a light in a dark time. Thank you all.
    Maleah Arvieux

10. Maleah Arvieux says:

Maleah Arvieux